canberrabirds

Magpie behaviour - is this unusual?

To: 'Roy Harvey' <>, 'canberrabirds' <>
Subject: Magpie behaviour - is this unusual?
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 04:10:13 +0000

Hard to know but I suggest:       The 2nd bird’s presence was irrelevant to the behaviour you are describing of the 1st bird, (you suggest it as such), even though they very likely are part of the same family group. As suggested by them departing together.  The 1st bird may well have been doing something related to plumage maintenance. It seems like a variant on the wide range of behaviours connected to anting or just dust bathing. Unlikely to be mating behaviour or begging for food.

Philip