canberrabirds

ABC News: Night parrot sighting in WA shocks birdwatching world

To: "" <>
Subject: ABC News: Night parrot sighting in WA shocks birdwatching world
From: John Harris <>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 03:06:46 +0000

Thanks Alan. This is heartening news indeed but hardly something to ‘shock’ us! Excite us, yes, but after all the Night parrot was described first from a Western Australian specimen – hence its name occidentalis. Their habitat spans the vast spinifex plains especially where there is Triodia grass  - ie Western Queensland,  the Northern Territory, Western Australia and the north of South Australia. I would not be shocked if they were discovered in Western NSW, very excited but not shocked!
I described my sighting of them in the 1960s north of the  the Barkly Tableland (NT) on this chatline two years ago. You can, I think, find it under night parrot or 13 Feb 2014. The Aboriginal men I was with called them Mirrlambing  with a hard ‘b’ - (Mirr-lam-bing). Mirr means to call out so the name means something like night calling bird. This name or a similar name can be found in the older bird literature which used to record Aboriginal names.