canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Bird ID Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Bird ID Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 23:42:35 +0000

We have been down this track  a few times.  I have slightly enhanced the photo below.  Certainly a young bronze-cuckoo. The head has the general appearance of a youngish Shining, indeed appears to be typically such.  The break in the barring of the underparts can occur in both species.  Jack has previously stressed the rufous outer tail feathers of the Horsfield’s as a more reliable guide.  Here, there may a slight rufous tinge (3) but no more than the recurrent  tone in the overall plumage when the colour is intensified.

I invite attention to the below image of a dependant Horsfield’s, younger than the above bird.

At that age the second bird has not acquired any barring (2), yet already has the beginning of the eye stripe that is missing in the first bird.   The rufous margin in the tail is already clearly visible (3).  In my opinion the first bird is a young Shining, based on the plain head.