canberrabirds

Aberrant birds

To: Doug Laing & Helen Lilley <>
Subject: Aberrant birds
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 22:30:42 +0000
Several/many years ago I saw a quite normal looking Zebra Finch at Kellys Swamp.  My memory  is that on consulting back issues of the Annual Bird Report found that most local records of the species were from that site, typically early in January.  This led me to the conclusions that
  • there was an aviary not too far away and
  • the owners went on holiday over Christmas giving the birds an opportunity to escape.
Martin