canberrabirds

Mystery bird

To: Mark Clayton <>
Subject: Mystery bird
From: Murray DELAHOY <>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:38:10 +0000
Hi Mark,

Can’t help with Mark’s bird but flocks of cockatoos/corellas seem to sometimes harbour interesting interlopers.

We’ve had a couple of recent visits from an “orange crested” cockatoo (I believe Citron-crested ssp. of Indonesian Yellow-crested Cockatoo) that is keeping company with a flock of S-c cockatoos and corellas in the North Canberra area. It’s slightly smaller than a sulphur-crested but bigger than a galah.  We’ve been seeing this bird occasionally for about five years.  From previous discussion on the chat-line I gather it is an escapee, but it seems to be surviving pretty well in the wilds of Canberra.

Kind regards,
Murray Delahoy