canberrabirds

Narrabundah Hill - Little Eagle

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: Narrabundah Hill - Little Eagle
From: Jean Casburn <>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 03:27:39 +0000

When I arrived at 9am the NW Eucumbene Drive end of the hill seemed to be in windy chaos. There were Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos flying about screeching, thornbills very disturbed and darting in and out of cover, Rosellas skittering about to name a few and then Sulphur Crested Cockatoos into the act. This went on for 15 minutes, while I was trying to record numbers.  I have seen the YT Blacks behaving similarly in the same place before, so wasn’t really surprised thinking this is one of their curiosities.

Next thing a very light morph Little Eagle came gliding into view above the track and the birds scattered back up into the hill. The underwing markings of the Eagle were not bright and the tail feathers seemed to be missing some and were not marked. There were also some unusual mottlings on the underwing.

Other birds of interest were 150 Common Starling whirling about in one large group then dividing into 2 or more groups. 6 Noisy Friarbird, 1 Sacred Kingfisher, 3 Brown Quail, 2 Tawny Frogmouth, 2 Southern Whiteface, immature Dusky Woodswallow, 11 Tree Martin, 1 juvenile Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike fed by an adult.

A pleasing morning

Jean