canberrabirds

Summer Woodland Survey - Callum Brae

To: Cog line <>
Subject: Summer Woodland Survey - Callum Brae
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 03:34:58 +0000
While some regulars were missing, the morning yielded 56 species, including breeding records for White-winged Triller, Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike, Galah, Dusky Woodswallow.
The surprise of the morning was a group of four Superb Parrots, including an adult male, feeding in a eucalypt near the trig, close to quarry fence. I've not recorded this species in a woodland survey here in the past, and they are rarely seen in any of the southern suburbs. Three cuckoo species were seen, although none were calling. A female White-winged Triller was feeding two well-grown offspring in my final survey site, while three Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrikes, including two immature birds, practised a bit of "perch-and-pounce" from the neighbouring tree, devouring quite a few grasshoppers.
The major disappointment was seeing a Common Myna, the first for a long time in the reserve. Notable absences included Red-rumped Parrots, Wood Ducks, any whistlers and Grey Shrike-Thrush.
The reserve is very dry and dam levels are dropping, although all still have water. Blackberries and rabbits in abundance - one of my survey markers has disappeared completely in a particularly large (but delicious!) blackberry patch.  Work is still proceeding on the pump station and access track upgrade.

Full list, and some pics,  at

Sandra H