canberrabirds

Hobbies in Giralang

To: "" <>
Subject: Hobbies in Giralang
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 05:46:03 +0000

Thanks for the quick reply with a graph..... Yes of course David’s opening comment is correct. Fortunately now we have a wider range of data available also.  Even so, those old style monthly GBS abundance graphs were a big part of the ABR and now have completely disappeared for many years. They were a huge part of the inspiration of The GBS report in seeing the data as a source of recurring monthly trends. Henry Nix, who basically inspired the GBS, told me he even had intended the data to be used on a weekly, rather than monthly basis! Even so, the monthly graphs as in those early ABR were a piece of superb inspiration by someone (not me) early on and done with a lot of work by McComas Taylor and later me. I know as I produced and edited the things for several years, so I know how difficult these were to do and in those days they were printed separately with sometimes weird labels of species names that might change from year to year and they were cut out individually and glued into the page after manually creating a gap for the space. That was 1980s technology.

About the bird, good to see that the trend still exists. Of course most graphed GBS data is on abundance, not reporting rate. A graph that shows abundance data will show a much greater illustration of the same point than a graph that shows reporting rate. The addition of another year (“and published in a couple of months time”) will be imperceptible change on what it is now. Which is why I think graphs in an ABR should be graphs for the current year. There is little point in having them for all years. It is a waste of space. Although that graph does show red line results for the one year......

Philip