canberrabirds

RE: New Holland Hybrid

To: 'kym bradley' <>
Subject: RE: New Holland Hybrid
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 02:38:40 +0000

Thanks Kym.  Your photo is the ‘first generation’ hybrid that is still about, having parented (mothered) a brood near the bridge last December.  It is distinguished by the orange iris among other things.  So far  the only probable photographic record of the new brood is by Shorty last week.  See below

Note the following differences from your bird:

Muddy brown iris (possibly age-related), more white in malar area, more white throat bristles, smaller white cheek plume.  Except for the iris colour Shorty’s photo is of a bird that is intermediate between the original hybrid and  a New Holland Honeyeater.

It would be good if more people kept an eye out for the new brood, so  I’ll copy this to the chatline.  Photos of the tail will be of interest to see if there are white spots at the end.