canberrabirds

Bittern or Night Heron

To: 'Lyndal Thorburn' <>, "" <>
Subject: Bittern or Night Heron
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 02:19:49 +0000

It is certainly a juvenile nankeen night heron (as a sweeping statement, I suggest most initial reports of Australasian Bitterns are juvenile nankeen night herons). I suspected that from your earlier message but did not respond, as there was no descriptive information to respond to (other than what is likely) except that “hiding near our dam in Greenleigh all day” seems unlikely for an Australasian Bittern. The perched in a tree is a good clue, but it is stripy rather than mottled brown, all over.  Most diagnostic is it has pale spots on the wings, rather than finely patterned in brown. I wonder whether Australasian Bitterns would ever perch in that slim alert upright posture as in that photo.

Philip