canberrabirds

FW: Snipe Project Call for Assistance and Update

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: Snipe Project Call for Assistance and Update
From: Lori Gould <>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 04:46:28 +0000

Hi All

Just to let you know that one of our birds with the satellite tracker (P8 – unnamed) is in trouble. It has the lower half of its beak caught in its elastic harness.

Both Birgita and Richard (Snipe researchers from Melbourne) have urgently returned to Jerrabomberra Wetlands to work with Michael, myself and PCS Wildlife Officers to locate and free the bird. We are all obviously extremely anxious, and we need your help if you happen to be out at the Wetlands - if you see it, please contact me ASAP on 0439 030 058. We are due to get transmitter data this afternoon from its satellite tracker which should help (note for info - they transmit for 10 hours then recharge for 48 hours via solar so is not on all the time).

Although the team have come very close to catching it on a few occasions, they were unsuccessful. After a search that lasted well past midnight they were unable to locate it again – it is quite mobile and can fly short distances. They returned this morning to resume the search. Once they locate it, they will watch it today and attempt to catch it tonight. Once caught, the harness will be removed permanently.

For info - our other two birds – Nazomi and Tsubasa are doing well and all three are transmitting data. I tried to attach some pictures of the tracks from yesterday but it kept getting ‘email returned’. I’m happy to send these to anyone  directly until I sort out the issue. The birds are mostly hanging around the Jerra except for Nazomi who has travelled a bit further afield towards the Golf Course.

It is also worth noting that our World Wetlands Open Day is tomorrow at the Jerra Wetlands Offices (10am – 3pm). Although it is away from the Wetland areas, please be aware there will be some Ranger Guided Walks being conducted.

Right now however, our deepest concern is with P8 so please keep your eyes open for her - we are all very worried to say the least.

Also feel free to call me if you wish to discuss any of this in more detail. Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers Lori

Lori Gould

Program Manager

Woodlands and Wetlands Trust (Jerrabomberra Wetlands)

M: 0439030058

PO Box 58 Fyshwick ACT 2609

www.woodlandsandwetlands.org.au