canberrabirds

Snipe Leg Flags

To: "" <>
Subject: Snipe Leg Flags
From: Lori Gould <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 02:41:17 +0000

Hi Latham’s Snipers (and other interested persons),

Something to keep an eye out for – Latham’s Snipe leg flag numbers. All orange:

  • Jerrabomberra Wetlands Leg Flags: R0 – R9 and P9 and P8
  • Victorian Leg Flags: T0-T9, U0-U9, V0-V9, H0-H9 and J0-J8.
  • Any blue leg flag are the Japanese birds (and you get a special prize if you see one of these!)

Birds with satellite transmitters are on R0 (Nazomi – ‘Hope’), P9 (Tsubasa – ‘Wing’) and P8 (yet to be named – keep the suggestions coming…).

Just out of interest, Michael saw one of the Snipe with a transmitter on the southern side of Kelly’s this morning (in the location where it was caught) and it appeared to be doing well – poking about in the grass. He couldn’t see the leg flag (due to the grass).

So a request…….if you see a Snipe with a tracker, could you please try to get a photo and send it to me with an accurate location. We would like to use it to calibrate the satellite data. We will be able to produce some maps to show you soon.

Don’t forget we have our World Wetlands Open Day this Sunday as well – we are staging it all from the Offices (2 Dairy Rd Fyshwick). Hope you can come along.

Cheers Lori

Lori Gould

Program Manager

Woodlands and Wetlands Trust (Jerrabomberra Wetlands)

M: 0439030058

PO Box 58 Fyshwick ACT 2609

www.woodlandsandwetlands.org.au