canberrabirds

Mulligan's Pink-eared Ducklings

To: COG Chatline <>
Subject: Mulligan's Pink-eared Ducklings
From: Julie Clark <>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 08:11:27 +0000
Hi All,

There are now only seven of the eight Pink-eared Ducklings remaining, but that's probably an excellent survival rate so far. They are really getting big now, but still tend to stay in the middle of the dam near their favourite log.

The six Australasian Grebe chicks are also doing well. Three are very independent, while the other three tend to stay near the parent. One in particular, (No6, who was so tiny and rode with a parent most of the time) drives the parent crazy...parent dives just to escape!

I haven't seen a second parent for over two weeks. Is it possible that they could have started breeding again? This is their second brood and these chicks were first seen on 27/12, so they are now almost 5 weeks out of the nest.

The three from the first brood have moved on .. possibly to the big dam.

I'd be interested to hear from those who know far more than me about the breeding of grebes.

Cheers
Julie

--
Julie Clark