canberrabirds

A couple of observations

To: Martin Butterfield <>
Subject: A couple of observations
From: Elizabeth Keen <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:15:31 +0000
Martin, like you we are watching a YF honeyeater nest very close to the house, ours is in a laurestina bush at the end of the deck. (Popular real estate competed for by several species yearly, but last year a nest full of 3 YF chicks were drowned in a downpour). Three chicks now being fed. Parents chasing off any eg New Hollands who dare to approach. Drama yesterday: a small bird crashed into the window right by the bush, fell to the ground, one of the adult YFs attacked it. I went to the rescue - it was a Horsfields Bronze cuckoo, not badly hurt. It clung to my finger for half an hour so I was able to admire its iridescent plumage and markings. After a spell in a basket, under a hat, it flew into the trees.

Libby
Harold's Cross