canberrabirds

the Yerrabi coots

To: "" <>
Subject: the Yerrabi coots
From: John Harris <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 01:22:32 +0000
Thanks Bill, 1,000 indeed. Saw them this morning myself. So the big questions are where did they go and how come they are back so soon? The main opinion circulating was that they had gone to the western NSW floodplains to breed in the unusually suitably wet condition. A related opinion, which I shared, was that the huge numbers in Yerrabi pond and elsewhere were a result of Coot numbers building up during the El Ninjo decade, and that Canberra had then been a kind of oasis for waterbirds. I certainly observed that build up myself.  So some of the theories including mine were wrong.  So now my questions are: did they go away to flooded wetlands to breed? If so how are they able to return so quickly? Are these returning birds the same birds?
I have an interesting related observation which I have made before on this chatline. In 17 years of visiting Yerrabi pond, I never saw  a breeding event among what eventually became 1000 coots.  Once the mass evacuation occurred, the ONLY coots I saw anywhere were invariably breeding, one or two breeding pairs with chicks on Valley Ponds, Crace Pond, Gungahlin Pond, Ford Pond, Gungahlin Pond etc
So what is going on here?