canberrabirds

JW yesterday

To: "" <>
Subject: JW yesterday
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 23:46:46 +0000

I went out there yesterday between about 4:30 to 7:00 pm. (I haven’t been out birding for weeks). Only thing of interest was in front of Tadorna hide, a nice breeding plumed Royal Spoonbill picking up and eventually dropping several long sticks, (some much longer than the bird). How they manage to collect enough branches with that weird unsuitable beak is surprising. I missed seeing the Tawny Grassbird. I only got to hear one brief snippet of the same call as in David’s video near the Snipe hide but could not find the bird unfortunately that was just before I needed to leave. Unless of course it was some person playing a recording….. Also a high flying Brown Goshawk appeared from the angle I was looking to take evasive action to avoid collision with the water bucket being carried by one of the several fire bombing helicopters that were flying towards the fire over to the north. Although it probably wasn’t quite that high.

Philip