canberrabirds

What are they for?

To: "" <>
Subject: What are they for?
From: Alan Ford <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 21:24:01 +0000

From: Alan Ford [
Sent: Tuesday, 17 January 2017 8:22 AM
To: 'David Rees'
Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] What are they for?

David

COG has been writing submissions for as long as I can remember to try and prevent local birds from becoming “functionally extinct”. COG members have been out surveying sites gathering evidence for those submissions.

Others in the city have done similar submissions on ecosystems, plants, reptiles and insects. (You know more about insects having published books on them.)

If people in the past had moved on instead of fighting for the natural world then we wouldn’t have the bush capital that we live in.

It isn’t time to move on. We need to continue to concern ourselves with issues like the Arboretum to ensure that something of our Australian natural world is left for the next generation.

The Arboretum is a monster that burns cash-money that might have been used to assist the Emergency Department of Canberra hospital meet its day to day obligations. (It struggles even on good days.)

The Arboretum is a symbol of the past, a relic from the time when people planted things from far-away places to remind them of what they considered home. Those attitudes die hard. But if anything Australian is to survive attitudes need to change.

I notice your final comment about land around the Cotter. Your country needs you-join a Parkcare Group.

Alan