canberrabirds

Tawny Grassbird records for the ACT (was Fwd: [eBird Alert] Needs Alert

To: "David McDonald (personal)" <>
Subject: Tawny Grassbird records for the ACT (was Fwd: [eBird Alert] Needs Alert for Australian Capital Territory <daily>)
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 04:36:27 +0000
David

With the records claiming to be Jerra wetlands but with co-ords in Bruce it looks to me as though the GPS reading is indeed daft.  I recall when I returned to New York after a mission to Europe the first attempt by my eTrex  GPS to give my location put me somewhere in North Carolina!  That was a common occurence.

However there is no evidence that I can see in the ALA records that the ID is incorrect (nor that it is correct).  I'd suggest the rarities Panel need to contact ALA to find out "further and better particulars" before a judgement is made.  I note that both of the 2006 records were submitted by the same observer (ALA# 22937) whereas a different (ALA#22836) person appears to have submitted the 1975 record.

With regards to the dead bird I am intrigued that neither Steve Wilson (Birds of the ACT) nor Harry Frith and his colleagues (Birds of the Aust High Country first or revised editions) were aware of the Australian Museum corpse.  I suggest that is equally, if not more, dodgy and should be followed up by the RP.

Martin