canberrabirds

Tree sparrows in Calwell

To: 'strong.margaret strong.margaret' <>
Subject: Tree sparrows in Calwell
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:28:21 +0000

Hello Margaret,

Sorry, I wonder and have to ask....... Are you really sure? Not sure if I can be tempted to go to Calwell.... On what basis are these Tree Sparrows? As in what visual actual description do you have? They are not reliably previously recorded in Canberra. Or so rarely that I don’t know of any. Certainly I have never encountered one around Canberra. A group would be really odd, as (at least in Australia) they are nowhere near as good dispersers or travellers as the House Sparrow is. And they are not common anywhere near to Canberra. The COG website says “Rare non-breeding visitor. May be under-reported.”  but I reckon that is an over statement.

I studied the social behaviour of the Tree Sparrows and House Sparrows for a year for my honours thesis, so I know them well. I think it very odd to describe their call as “a musical whistle, quicker and more varied than house sparrows”. Their call is different, a harsher, short deeper tone cheeps, sort of more mechanical sound than the House Sparrow and I can’t think of any greater variety of sounds. They don’t have any long call notes or sequences that I would call whistling or even musical.  Hard to describe but I can pick the difference easily. At this time of year you might be hearing the communal display of House Sparrows, during which you hear a rapid fire twittering. The males gang up in a group and vigorously pursue one female, typically in densely foliaged parts of a tree, until she manages to fly away. The book by J.D. Summers-Smith about the House Sparrow describes it in detail. It appears to be a part of courting behaviour, early in the breeding season, although not usually associated with mating. But sorry I am not even convinced about that is what you are seeing. As far as I know, neither species is known for ever indulging in vocal mimicry. And I happen to have studied mimicry too.

Philip