canberrabirds

Fan-tailed Cuckoo "Stalking" behaviour at Barren Grounds Nature Reserve

To: "" <>
Subject: Fan-tailed Cuckoo "Stalking" behaviour at Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
From: Paul Sellers <>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 07:08:49 +0000

Not in Canberra, but I’m sure Barren Grounds is visited by many of the members of this list. Admin please delete if it’s not appropriate.

I was walking Griffiths Trail this morning (Thursday 17-11-2016), the two kilometre stretch from the picnic area to the natural stone bridge,

and I observed behaviour that I’d never seen before by a Fan-tailed Cuckoo. It appeared in front of me, perched on a bare branch on the

side of the trail, and as I got within 10 metres or so, it would fly on about 30 metres, again landing on a bare branch where it could watch me,

then repeating the whole process. It kept pace with me for around 250 metres, then disappeared.  On a return trip (my target bird was the Beautiful Firetail, so I walked the two kilometre stretch backwards and forwards several times), the bird again suddenly appeared in front of me and kept pace with me for 300 metres, but only 50 of those metres were the same territory as on the first trip. This occurred a total of four times. Anybody seen similar behaviour?

Cheers Paul.