canberrabirds

What is meant by fledging?

To: "" <>
Subject: What is meant by fledging?
From: John Harris <>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 03:20:14 +0000
When does the precise definition of ‘fledged' matter and when does it not matter?  How much does it matter, for example, when reporting on eBird? I have recently reported Coot chicks and chose FL, the only sensible Breeding Code for Coot chicks swimming around near their parents.  I did not see them being fed but if I had, and if I had therefore used the code FY, does that matter to anybody? Does anyone ever do such fine-grained research on eBird data or is the fact of a confirmed breeding event all that really matters? For a water bird chick swimming, there is actually no higher code than FL and so I don’t imagine that the amount of down etc matters.
On the other hand, last year Julie Clarke made some amazing observations and photos of Buff-banded Rail breeding in Forde Creek. She and I wrote a paper on it which was published by Australian Field Ornithology. In this case the meaning of ‘fledged’ and other technical descriptive words became potentially very important. For us, this was the most difficult part of the paper. It was one thing to have field notes and photos but quite another to use technical terminology correctly. Over more than a month, chicks covered completely in down developed juvenile plumage which gradually developed into adult or near-adult plumage. But to divide these up into distinct stages was impossible. We avoided the word fledgling as unhelpful. If a chick with down was a fledgling, then began to grow flight feathers and then became a juvenile with juvenile feathers but had not yet flown, was it still a fledgling during all that development? Or, as some definitions would have it, did it only become a fledgling at first flight?    In the end, the word ‘fledgling’ was too vague and ill-defined for us amateurs.