canberrabirds

Campbell Park breeding update

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Campbell Park breeding update
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 03:23:51 +0000
White-winged Trillers have arrived in numbers - both genders within the
last five days. There are, so far, fewer males than last year. Noisy
Friarbirds appear to have increased in numbers recently but are not very
noisy and I have observed no (nb) to date. Leaden Flycatcher and
White-throated Gerygone appear to be in slightly higher numbers than
usual. Dusky Woodswallows are in low numbers. Olive-backed Orioles are
very scarce. There are no Rufous Songlark. Buff-rumped Thornbills (dy)
appear to be much reduced in numbers as are Yellow-rumped Thornbills
(nb). Western Gerygone (nb) are scarce. Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes are
still playing chasey rather than nest-building.

Other breeding includes: Dusky Woodswallow, Willie Wagtail, Striated
Pardalote and Leaden Flycatcher all (on). Willie Wagtail are also (nb)
following predation of the first attempt. The parrots seem to be slow in
choosing their hollows and there is still much of intra- and inter-
psittacine mayhem. Wood Duck, Black Duck and Grey Teal have all had
broods with the latter two species losing 100% of their ducklings in
short order. Galah, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Long-billed Corella,
Common Myna and Common Starling are entering and leaving hollows.
Magpie-larks have (dy) and (on); White-winged Choughs, ditto. Magpies
and Australian Raven have (dy). Sacred Kingfisher and Dollarbird are
either (ih) or have their first eggs in the nest, I am not sure which.
Rufous Whistler, Superb Fairy-wren Grey Fantail appear to be lurking
with intent but I have been unable to track them back to their
(presumed) nests and/or I don't want to disturb the area around the nests.

Varied Sittella are not breeding in their usual area. I have observed
several Shining Bronze-cuckoos but little else in the cuckoo line.

I have not noticed Spotted Pardalote or White-winged Woodswallows at all.

Details have been provided to Jack Holland in support of the forthcoming
COG nest workshop.

This morning a flock of 20 Pied Currawongs hoovered Campbell Park. I
observed them moving silently and stealthily except when they appeared
to want to use high decibels to flush prey when they would begin calling
very loudly indeed.

The general impression is that everything more or less short of the
horse gate is now Noisy Miner country as are lots of other areas beyond
the Horse Gate. Tree death and decline appears to have been accelerated
as much by the wet season as by theft.

I am pleased that I have finally overcome my somewhat luddite aversion
to entering data electronically in the field. I am using the BirdLIfe
data app on my mobile phone and it is remarkably efficient compared to
the old pen and paper methods. I have found that I can combine
photography with data entry without compromising the former too much.

regards

Con

Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments,
will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or
'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>