canberrabirds

FW: House Sparrows

To: Julian Robinson <>
Subject: FW: House Sparrows
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 01:41:00 +0000
My understanding is that House Sparrows have been in decline world-wide.  The reasons are not clear.

Out here in the sticks of Carwoola my impression is that House Sparrows = chooks or horses.  The sparrows dine on the surplus feed.  I haven't studied their distribution in this area rigorously but cannot recall seeing them far from human habitation with one or both of those forms of livestock.

So my suggestion would be that one or more of Eric's neighbours has started running a few chooks which has attracted them into the area.