canberrabirds

Using Canberra Nature Map to record bird observations

To: "" <>
Subject: Using Canberra Nature Map to record bird observations
From: Chris Davey <>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 12:31:26 +0000
Hi,

Just a reminder concerning Canberra Nature Map. The Map accepts images of
birds. The image is associated with a location, either automatically through
the GPS on the camera or entered manually when submitting the image. The CNM
therefor cannot be used to submit your observations without an image. This is
now best done through eBird or the new BLA Birdata protocol, both of which are
recommended by COG and uploaded to the COG database. Please note that the COG
on-line data entry system is no longer running. The use of the COG Incidental
record form is possible but not recommended and although paper records are
still accepted someone has to manually enter the records to the database.

The need to take observations from the chat-line and place them on the COG
database has been around for as long as the chat-line has been in place.
Efforts have been made to find volunteers to take on this job but to no avail.
It would not be a simple job of extracting the information because the
chat-line record typically indicates species x seen at y today/last week. To be
a valid record a geo-coordinate, abundance, date and a time is required, this
is rarely if ever given. Any volunteer would therefore need to contact the
observer to find out the other details required for a valid record.

That being said, it would be great if someone was prepared to take on the job.

Chris