canberrabirds

missing coots!!

To: John Harris <>, Con Boekel <>
Subject: missing coots!!
From: Julie Clark <>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 01:10:19 +0000
Hi All,

In a similar vein, I surveyed Dickson, North Watson and Casey Wetlands, as well as Forde and Yerrabi Ponds on the weekend.

Coots were present at Casey, North Watson and Forde, with evidence of breeding at each of those locations, although numbers were still relatively small.
  •  Casey - a brood of 8 very young chicks as well as another of 4 older juveniles + 4 adults - total 16 Coots (good photo opportunities or just a closer look.
Casey was the only location where I saw Swamphen juveniles (2).

  • North Watson - what appeared to be a new brood of 6 chicks, as well as older broods 4 + 3 ...total 17 coots

  • Forde  - one brood of 3 young chicks, as well as two other broods 2+ 1  .. total 10 Coots
Interestingly, the parent of the 3 chicks attacked a swamphen as I was passing. At that stage I hadn't seen the chicks (in the reeds), at which time the chicks all start swimming toward the parent, making a loud fuss!

Also at Forde was the only evidence I saw of Dusky Moorhen breeding - 1 juvenile.

Yerrabi Pond was completely devoid of Coots and I only saw 4 Swamphens. Interestingly there were 16 Dusky Moorhens, but I didn't see any evidence of breeding. The most prolific bird here was the Black Swan - total 19, which included 2 smaller cygnets & 7 larger ones.

Dickson was also devoid of Coots, but topped the duck count ....
  • Wood Ducks - 33 which include 21 very small ducklings ... oh so cute until scared by a dog 'off the lead', as well as 4 larger ones
  • Pacific Black Ducks - total - 14 of which 9 were ducklings

Some good viewing/photo opportunities at these smaller ponds/wetlands.

Apostlebird still present at Watson ...was determined to dice with death and continually walked across the road chattering as it went!

Cheers
Julie