canberrabirds

Drama on Narrabundah Hill - Southern Whiteface

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: Drama on Narrabundah Hill - Southern Whiteface
From: casburnj <>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 04:14:43 +0000

Although the early morning was cool to cold, breeding activity goes on apace.

Two Southern Whiteface have been building a nest for the past couple of days.  This morning one bird entered the nest hollow and did not appear straight away. Next minute a Starling hopped onto the edge of the nest hollow and to my horror stuck it’s head inside and came out with a stem of grass. Oh woe is me!  The Southern Whiteface did not come out and I thought this would be the end of the bird inside or the end of their right to the nesting hollow. I moved on further down the track, but after about 15 minutes I returned to watch again.  This time the Whiteface were still entering and leaving the nest with nesting material and I subsequently saw them in the grass gathering more material. Phew!  The Starling continued feathering its own nest.

Also around this morning were 3 noisy Dollarbirds, some Dusky Woodswallows and other  breeding attempts by the more common birds.

The track is almost dry.

Jean