canberrabirds

Wednesday Walk to Mulligans Flat

To: COG List <>, COG Wednesday Walkers <>, gang-gang <>
Subject: Wednesday Walk to Mulligans Flat
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 19:41:36 +0000
The editors of Gang-Gang may wish to use the following as the official report on the trip.
Allowing for 2 members who were a little delayed, 20 members of COG and 9 guests from the Bird Life Southern Highlands gathered at Mulligans Flat for an exploration of the area around the Big Dam.  Using the entrance off Eric Wright Street saved us quite a step, although it did give an early experience of the dampness of the area.

We recorded quite a number of bush birds as we moved towards the big dam, with the highlight being 2 Speckled Warblers foraging in company.  This was considered to meet the eBird breeding category “Probable  - Pair in suitable habitat” as did a male and female Scarlet Robin moving in concert.  Several migrants were heard and/or seen as moved on including White-throated and Western Gerygones; up to 3 Sacred Kingfishers: Leaden Flycatcher and Olive-backed Oriole.

The big dam was replete with water:  indeed it was as full as I have seen it for many years.  In common with many other water bodies in the area it was less than replete with water birds.   We observed a family of Pacific Black Ducks, including 7 very young ducklings, 2 Australian Wood Duck and singles of Pink-eared Duck and Musk Duck.  A few Eurasian Coots and Little Pied Cormorants and a White-faced Heron completed the set.

We picked our way through the puddles to the small dam nearby where the only Australasian Grebes of the day were seen.  On the walk back the highlight was two Sacred Kingfishers and two Tawny Frogmouths.

As well as the activities reported above other breeding records were Sulphur-crested Cockatoo and Red-rumped Parrot (both Probable--Visiting Probable Nest site); Noisy Miner (Confirmed -- feeding Young); Australian Magpie (Confirmed – Nest with Young); Australian Raven (Confirmed—Nest Building); White-winged Chough (Confirmed –Occupied Nest);  Common Blackbird and Common Starling (both Confirmed--Carrying Food).

In total we recorded 52 species.

A full checklist is at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S32106358.  I have compiled a blogpost with some photographs and commentary on other orders and sightings on the additional areas visited.

The editors of Gang-gang may wish to use the following in the forthcoming trips section.  (Note that I am finding it impossible to load this to the COG website.)

The November walk on 16 November is to the Namadgi Visitors Centre
​ (NVC)
 and Tharwa Sandwash. Meet at NVC at 9 am