canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] impaled Spotted Pardalote

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] impaled Spotted Pardalote
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 22:17:01 +0000

From: John Harris [
Sent: Tuesday, 11 October 2016 10:14 PM
To: 'canberrabirds'
Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] impaled Spotted Pardalote

The question of whether Butcherbirds actually impale their prey in their arboreal ‘larder’ will probably remain with us for ever. I certainly used to believe they did. I have seen impaled birds and lizards. When I was a child and my grandfather showed me, he said it was a butcherbird which did it. But I admit I have never actually seen a butcherbird do it nor any actual proof that a butcherbird impales anything. So I am not so sure. The real explanation is in the origin of the name. Northern hemisphere shrikes do impale their prey and they used to be called butcherbirds in England. Indeed their Genus Lanius means butcher. I suspect that Australian butcherbirds were so named from their resemblance to English butcherbirds (shrikes), not because anyone had actually seen them impaling their prey. Many of our bird names derive from some resemblance to an English bird, like the Magpie, and I suspect Butcherbird is one of them