canberrabirds

The Eastern hinterland

To: COG List <>
Subject: The Eastern hinterland
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 03:00:36 +0000
I went for a drive around a few spots this morning.  Not the greatest weather with heavy overcast and strong winds.
  • Foxlow Lagoon continues to be almost devoid of birds.  The family of Black Swans is still present with 4 cygnets.  2 Musk Duck also present, one definitely a male but the other dived too quickly for me to be sure of its sex.
  • Next stop was the Banded Lapwing site just North of Hoskinstown, but none of that species  - nor many of any other species - present.
  • The three dams on the edge of Bungendore were pretty much empty of birds with a fly past by 3 Australian Shelduck the only noteworthy record.
  • The poo pits appeared bird-free as I drove by.
  • As I turned in to Lake Road it was very obvious that there was a massive amount of water in Lake George (as recently reported by others).  The same applies to the Big Dam, which has as much, probably more, water than I have ever seen before.  There were several waterfowl present with the big-ticket item being 2 Plumed Whistling Ducks.  I think this is the first time they have been reportes at this site.  A Cattle Egret on the far bank was very yellow around the head (the higher probability being moving into breeding plumage rather than heavy pollen deposits).  4 Hoary-headed Grebes were present but didn't seem to be breeding whereas 1 Australasian Grebe appeared to be ON and 2 others were still constructing a newst.