canberrabirds

BIRDATA mobile app now available

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: BIRDATA mobile app now available
From: Paul Fennell <>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 02:33:19 +0000
Hello everyone

You will see below a message that the BirdData mobile app and onLine Portal are now available for people to enter bird sightings on line. Birdlife Australia is to be congratulated on this initiative to provide another avenue for recording bird sightings.  It joins eBird as one of the two internet systems for capturing bird data in the field and having the records available online.

People may be considering whether to use eBird or BirdData for the capture of their bird sighting data. Please do not create duplicate data by using both systems!!
I would also add that it is preferable NOT to use the jotform application on the COG website, but to use eBird or BirdData instead.

I am sending this message to confirm that whether you use eBird or BirdData, your sightings will be made available to COG on a regular basis.

That is:

- COG will receive the data regardless of whether it is submitted via eBird or Birdata
- the eBird records will be transferred by BLA into Birdata
- and that COG has processes in place to eliminate duplicate records so observers do not need to worry unduly about that.

Paul Fennell

Here is the message from birdlife Australia.

Can't view this email? Click here to open it in a web browser
birdata.birdlife.org.au

Birdata mobile app now available

Download the free Birdata app from the Google Play and Apple app stores. This fantastic conservation tool allows you to record meaningful surveys while out in the field, see all of your existing surveys and species seen, as well as the ability to keep your Australian bird list.

The mobile app does work offline. It is important to open and login to the app and zoom in on the map to select your survey location before losing internet connectivity. Any surveys you submit while not connected to the internet are stored in the ‘Incomplete Surveys’ section and will automatically upload when you have a connection again. In some cases, this can take several hours, so please do not redo or resubmit the survey.

Search for 'Birdata' in the app stores, download the app, login using the same details as the Birdata web portal, and get outdoors to record surveys to make your birding count.

User Login

To use the new Birdata web portal and mobile app it is essential that you sign up for a new user account, if you have not already done so.

Your previous Atlas ID number, Shorebirds login, or member number will not work. You are welcome to keep the same username (eg. your Atlas ID or your email address) when you go through the sign up process. Your password must now be at least 6 characters.

Your existing surveys will appear once our authentication system synchronises your new login details with our database, which can take up to 48 hours.

New Results

Many of you have taken to the new Birdata web portal like a duck to water. This has resulted in some encouraging statistics on the number of surveys submitted.

Average surveys recorded per day over 25 day period before launch: 63.4

Average surveys recorded per day over 25 day period after launch: 99.4

Breakdown of surveys submitted by type:
+-----------------------+-------+
 survey type              | count
+-----------------------+-------+
2ha, 20 minute search |    928
500m area search       |  1046
5km area search         |   205
Incidental search        |    259
Fixed route search      |     96
Bird list                     |     54
Shorebirds 2020 count |     40
+-----------------------+-------+

FAQs

We have had some fantastic feedback since the launch of the new Birdata web portal which has enabled us to fix some major bugs and make some improvements already. We are compiling a wish list of further improvements for a future upgrade. Below is a list of questions we have added to the FAQs on the Help page based on your feedback.

How is the species list sorted?
How do I delete a species entry when recording sightings?
Can I enter my sightings without using the mouse?
Where are my favourite sites from the old Birdata website?
How do I search for survey points/sites?
How do I rename and/or adjust coordinates for an existing survey point/site?
Can I merge survey points/sites?
How do I get a species list from one of my survey points/sites?
Can I extract and print a species list?
Can I delete an existing survey?
Species I’ve sighted come up unexpectedly out-of-range?
I cannot see records of sensitive species. Where will I find them?
Where is my Shorebirds 2020 data?
Where is my eBird data?
Can I still use the app if I am not connected to the internet?

Please give the new Birdata mobile app a try and let us know what you think via the feedback form at the bottom of the Birdata web portal.

If you have any questions, our Help section gives you all the answers you need along with some handy video tutorials. If you need further assistance click on the blue ‘Send Feedback’ button at the bottom of the web portal.

Sign up, learn the Birdata basics, and make your birding count for conservation.

PS. If you receive more than one of these emails it means you are signed up to another BirdLife Australia project.

Join
                                   Us Volunteer Volunteer
Privacy Policy | Email Preferences

BirdLife Australia
Suite 2-05, 60 Leicester St, Carlton VIC 3053
T 03 9347 0757 | m("birdlife.org.au","info");" class="">
 p u ABN 75 149 124 774