canberrabirds

Hobbies return in Kambah

To: 'COG Chatline' <>
Subject: Hobbies return in Kambah
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 01:24:35 +0000

Last Thursday I noted one Hobby darting around at Jenke Circuit Kambah. That it was flying circuits making a lot of noise suggests an interest in settling. (As usually, single birds are quiet). This morning a pair were flying circuits over my house making a lot of noise, upsetting the magpies (nesting in my big tree), currawong & ravens. I heard them and knew what was happening at least a minute before I saw them. They appeared to be targeting the big stick nest in a tree at the corner of Castley Circuit and Dare Place. Including perching briefly near or above it.  I admit that I had not noticed that nest before, but judging by the reaction from the pair of Aust Ravens (that are always around), I assume they are the owner. My home is only about a minute or two flying time from Jenke Circuit Kambah. The nearest prior nesting that I am aware of is on the median strip in the big tree of Tuggeranong Parkway nearest Boddington / Marconi.