canberrabirds

Bungendore etc

To: COG List <>
Subject: Bungendore etc
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 05:46:23 +0000
I thought I would go for a scout for Plumed Whistling Ducks at Bungedore this afternoon.  They were not evident on any of the dams visible from the roads.  Quite large numbers (150 - 200) of galahs on the meadows and a few Shelduck grazing near the hay racks.  A pair of Chestnut Teal and some sort of Mallard-based hybrid duck at Trucking Yard Lane.

The sewage works looked very quiet so I went on to Lake Rd.  There is a fairly large wet area at the Big Dam but the only waterbird there was an Australian Shelduck sleeping on a small island.  A Restless Flycatcher was a bit of a surprise.  I could see there was lots of water in Lake George so went further down the Road to see what could be seen.  I counted 85 Black Swans (mainly at the extreme Southern end).  10 White-faced Herons and 6 Black-winged Stilts were the other main birds of interest.  I could see - with my scope - a few duck shaped things in the far distance but not well enough to identify to species.