canberrabirds

The Stilt Issue

To: "" <>
Subject: The Stilt Issue
From: John Harris <>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 21:49:45 +0000
I think in the end you have to stick with the old name with Australian in front of it. If you can give it a better descriptive name, no doubt someone will have pinched it already and you would still have to put 'Australian' in front of it as we do with dozens of birds already. There seems little point in a less descriptive name. We only need the Australian part in technical situations such as technical writing or reporting on eBird and they give you the name automatically. In normal situations we mostly drop the Australian anyway and are happy with magpie or spotted crake or wood duck or painted snipe or whatever. Or at least I am but perhaps I am not representative

Sent using OWA for iPad