canberrabirds

European Goldfinch

To: 'John Harris' <>, 'canberra birds' <>
Subject: European Goldfinch
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 04:23:30 +0000

I have just had a quick look in HANZAB, where your food questions are answered in some detail. Yes they eat a lot of thistle seeds but also a wider range including some insects. Does that help control thistles? Well maybe as every seed eaten is not going to grow. It is also possible that seed production by thistles far exceeds what these birds can eat and maybe thistles are limited by other factors more than seed eating by birds.  It is probably by good luck that they do not impact much on native species in that they have favourite foods that are introduced weeds. HANZAB does mention some feeding along with Diamond Firetails and other finches and associating with Flame Robins but this looks like being not much more than incidental. HANZAB mentions their common flock size and has some reports of flocks of hundreds. They are not a threat in terms of nesting (like Mynas are) because they build their own nest, rather than occupy the limited available tree hollows. As to whether they are pretty or charming. Well yes and that is why the acclimatization society imported them here. The acclimatization society in the 1860s did not think a lot about the impact of introductions on native species. As for me describing the particular pair of Goldfinches I had in an aviary in the 1970s as obnoxious, I stand by that but that does not mean they all are or that wild free living Goldfinches are also obnoxious.

Philip