canberrabirds

Latham's Snipe Survey

To: "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "Galpin, Brandon" <>, "Swain, Shelley" <>, "" <>
Subject: Latham's Snipe Survey
From: Lori Gould <>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 10:41:15 +0000

Hi All,

Firstly, I would like to say a massive THANKYOU for volunteering to be part of the Latham’s Snipe survey. Your response has been fantastic and it looks like we have managed to cover all the sites on our list (which was based on previous records). You are contributing to a massive effort, which also links with the South Eastern Australian Snipe surveys more broadly. I would also like to take the opportunity to thank Chris Davey and Sue Lashko for all their efforts in helping to coordinate this.

Instructions are below. If you are unable to undertake a survey on a particular date, please just send me an email to let me know. Similarly, please feel free to contact me if you have any issues or wish to discuss anything. All my contact details are at the bottom of this email.

Latham's Snipe Survey August 2016 to March 2017

The aim of the survey is to find out about other locations in urban and rural ACT  where the Snipe may be found and to compare numbers and frequency of use with the birds using the Jerrabomberra Wetlands.

Please survey your chosen wetland for Latham’s Snipe during 2016-17 spring/summer on the following weekends:

·         August 20-21

·         September 17-18

·         October 15-16

·         November 19-20

·         December 17-18

·         January 21-22

·         February 18-19

·         March 18-19

The preferred habitat of Latham's Snipe  is the muddy edges of wetlands or boggy grasslands. As the birds do not readily show themselves it may be necessary to flush the birds. For a thorough search of a wetland this could require gum boots so you can walk within a few metres of the water's edge, rather than a  casual search from a path.

Many wetlands may be suitable for Snipe only under certain conditions. At present there is much water about and many wetlands could be so full that there is no suitable habitat for the birds to feed. When recording the observations on your chosen wetland could you please indicate whether there is any suitable Snipe habitat available at the time of the survey.

Observations for the Latham’s Snipe survey can be recorded in one of three ways: as a COG Incidental Form (see http://canberrabirds.org.au/observing-birds/incidental-record-form/), via eBird or as an email a message to Lori Gould (m("woodlandsandwetlands.org.au","Lori.Gould");" target="_blank">). We also wish to record whether Snipe have not been observed or heard at any particular wetland.

The COG Incidental Form will accept a record if no birds are seen ; that is numbers seen = zero.

eBird does not accept zero sightings. The species is assumed to not be present if it is not listed. Therefore, if your survey of a particular wetland does not record any Snipe could you please list those species that you have recorded. If all species seen have been recorded then record as a total survey, if not then report as a partial survey.

Kindest Regards,

Lori

Lori Gould

Program Manager

Woodlands and Wetlands Trust (Jerrabomberra Wetlands)

M: 0439030058

PO Box 58 Fyshwick ACT 2609

www.woodlandsandwetlands.org.au