canberrabirds

Illegal trade in Goldfinch [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: Anne Fulker <>, COG Chat <>
Subject: Illegal trade in Goldfinch [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Maconachie, Michael" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 01:56:45 +0000

Just for your collective info. I caught a male person trying to trap Goldfinches at Jerra Wetlands (a few months back). He was using two caged birds to attract in wild birds to glue sticks attached to an artificial Christmas tree. He wanted a male for breeding as apparently you can’t buy them in Australia – not part of the Finch breeders species.

Technically if he was doing it in his backyard he would not be committing an offence.

We have all his details and have checked them out with the AFP.

If you come across someone doing this then let me know. Obviously if it is the same person we will prosecute as they have been clearly informed of the legislation even though it involves a feral animal.

Michael Maconachie

Senior Ranger

Jerrabomberra Wetlands Nature Reserve

ACT Parks and Conservation Service