canberrabirds

Very charming!

To: 'John Harris' <>, 'Joan Lipscombe' <>, 'canberrabirds' <>
Subject: Very charming!
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 08:05:32 +0000

From The GBS Report:

European Goldfinch Carduelis carduelis

A common inhabitant of parklands, grazing and other disturbed grassland. It mostly feeds on seeds of thistles, grasses and some exotic trees. It has a clear monthly pattern, from a minimum in March, rises smoothly to a peak in August then declines smoothly again. This may be a reflection of birds moving into the suburbs, forming into flocks and raised frequency of singing by the birds in spring. From 1992 to 1994, the amplitude of the monthly pattern reduced. It was especially common and widespread in late winter of 1981. Apart from that, there appears to be some evidence of an undulation in numbers, with rises and slumps over several years in succession. Breeding records in first 15 years only. They are activities at nest from early October to mid December and dependent young from mid November to late February or even late April.
Graphs on page: 104, Rank: 33, Breeding Rank: 32, A = 0.31635, F = 46.09%, W = 49.5, R = 9.210%, G = 3.43.

I also recall it from Melbourne when I was young, as them being far more common than here but also very variable over time and place. Hard to know why. I don’t think they are much of a worry as they tend to eat different things from native finches and no nest competition. Although I well recall when I was young and kept a pair of Goldfinches in an aviary, the Goldfinches were far from charming. Indeed unlike most native finches that are charming (not the Crimson Finches, that are little monsters and insanely aggressive), these Goldfinches were the most obnoxious birds you could have sharing an aviary with other (native) finches.

Philip