canberrabirds

Avian goings on in Fraser

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Avian goings on in Fraser
From: Dennis Ayliffe <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 00:51:20 +0000
 Good morning

A pair of wood ducks visited an old Blakeley’s red gum in my backyard this morning. There was much head bobbing, tail shaking and low “quackerings” for about five minutes before they flew south onto the slopes of Mt Rogers.

Also of interest has been a regular bout of late afternoon exchanges between two satin bower birds. One seems to call from the depths of a photinia hedge on a neighbour’s boundary and the other appears to be about 50 metres away in shrubbery fronting a house in Deasland Place. I had seen one either young or female bird in the garden at my place and know it has been hanging around for at least a year but hearing a second came as a surprise.

Dennis Ayliffe