canberrabirds

RE: WTE tries to lift boy - N.T.

To: "" <>
Subject: RE: WTE tries to lift boy - N.T.
From: John Layton <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 02:35:32 +0000

Ian Baird writes:

I would think it highly likely that WTEs would have taken the odd Aboriginal child over the  broad sweep of human history in this country. Mind you, Australian boys of that age can be quite annoying!

Ian Baird

While wandering the U.S. south west back in 1995 I heard of a boy in the Utah back country who was attacked by an eagle – presumably a Golden Eagle Aquilla chrysaetos canadensis – while he was down on all fours digging out a rabbit burrow. Reportedly the boy was wearing a fur coat at the time so maybe the eagle mistook him for a remarkably large lagomorph. Couple of weeks later, over the state line in Colorado, an old Paiute man told me a similar story of a boy wearing a fur coat who was attacked while sitting fishing by a stream. But in the Colorado version the eagle was replaced by a mountain lion. I checked to ensure I was wearing my leather jacket so I’d pass as a rock rather than a rabbit from Down Under.

John Layton

Holt.