canberrabirds

More wader footage etc

To: "<>" <>
Subject: More wader footage etc
From: David Rees <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 06:26:28 +0000
Been going through some of my recent footage and turning it into something

Eastern Curlews - filmed last year in Newcastle, NSW  https://vimeo.com/174000517  - reasonable numbers of them were there - lets hope this continues

The Western treatment works Phalarope filmed earlier this year.  Bird is distant and others have taken much better photos but what this chip shows and what the photos do not show is the characteristic behavior of this bird - its movement is very distinctive and makes it stand out -

Ruddy Turnstone - we see non-breeding birds locally on the south coast  as here  https://vimeo.com/110683440   but we don't often get ones in breeding plumage - filmed these on the south coast of England https://vimeo.com/173997150

A duck on our vagrant list is the Northern Pintail - in out of breeding plumage even the males are not too distinctive.  However, get a male in breeding plumage and things are different - filmed this one on the south coast of England recently  https://vimeo.com/173553312

Enjoy

David