canberrabirds

Loss of dead trees ruins birdwatching

To: Cog line <>
Subject: Loss of dead trees ruins birdwatching
From: Ace Frawley <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:38:33 +0000
Congrats on J.F. Bishop for getting this letter published in the CT: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comment/ct-letters/reminder-for-act-senator-20160630-gpvqo3.html

Loss of dead trees ruins birdwatching

As a birdwatcher, I frequently visit the woodlands in the vicinity of Campbell Park offices.

Last week, I noticed that several dead trees had been completely removed, presumably by people gathering firewood.

I was later informed that other birdwatchers had come across such people and were told they had permission from Defence to do so – the area in question is, after all, Defence land and not part of the Mount Majura Nature Reserve.

Today, I was devastated to see that a fine old dead tree with numerous nesting hollows was gone. For some years, this particular tree had hosted a family of owlet nightjars.

While I accept that this land is not under the jurisdiction of the ACT government, I find it difficult to accept that Defence would condone such environmental vandalism. The area in question has long been recognised as one of the ACT's most renowned birdwatching sites, and one of the best remnants of mixed woodland in the ACT and it needs protection from wood gatherers and also, of late, people dumping building waste.

If, and I doubt it, Defence granted permission for firewood harvesting then it should be rescinded immediately and the area should be patrolled to prevent further vandalism.

I am appalled by what has happened.

J.F. Bishop, Flynn