canberrabirds

Grey Shrike-thrush

To: chatline <>
Subject: Grey Shrike-thrush
From: John Harris <>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 01:09:14 +0000
The Grey Shrike-thrush is of course common behind my house, that is, in the trees by Ginninderra Creek and in the woodland on Percival Hill. I do not often see it in my actual GBS area except for winter. EVERY winter after the deciduous leaves have fallen, one turns up every evening in my garden. It sits in the bare trees and makes its single ringing winter call. This has happened for at least the past 10 years. We hear it at dusk and early in the morning and then it seems to disappear for the day. We were hopeful that it might have been looking for a nesting site but that has never happened. Wrong season anyway, but it is difficult to know why the bird does this.