canberrabirds

Scrivener dam birds

To: COG Chat <>
Subject: Scrivener dam birds
From: Fleur r Leary <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 07:18:15 +0000
At about 4.15 today I crossed over Scrivener Dam and observed about 40 silver gulls wheeling around in the spray of the overflowing spillway.  I am curious why they would do that - are they playing? Are they having a flying shower?  Are they checking out the water for fish?  I didn’t see any of them dive into the water.  Sorry about the photo - I only had my phone with me so couldn’t zoom in very well - the gulls are the tiny specks in the spray above the water.

Also 7 little black cormorants perched on a wall near the base of the dam attempting to dry their wings.