canberrabirds

Narrabundah Hill 13/6/16 - patience rewarded

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: Narrabundah Hill 13/6/16 - patience rewarded
From: casburnj <>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 04:17:23 +0000

9.45am to 12.30pm very cold and quite most of the way, and very few birds evident until a feeding flock appears when the weather finally warms up a bit at 11.45pm. 28 species.  Superb Fairy Wrens first appeared 11.20am.

However there were two surprises, 2 Grey Currawong seen briefly close to the style on entering the N end of the hill and also at that time 14 Red Wattlebird migrating north east towards the suburb of Duffy. Pleased also to see 6 Scarlet Robin in three separate areas.

I met up with the farmer who owns the Angus Cattle. “He held me with his glistening eye”, and talked of days gone by, about eagles and birds he has seen all around Canberra – hence my extended stay up the hill – this was lucky because otherwise I might have missed the large feeding flock on the way back to the style.

The feeding flock included Buff-rumped Thornbill, Yellow-rumped Thornbill, Weebill, Striated Thornbill, Speckled Warbler 2, Scarlet Robin 2, Grey Shrike Thrush 4, Red Wattlebird, Eastern Rosella 2, White-eared Honeyeater 1,  and Superb Fairy Wren.  Approx 37 birds estimated in the flock.  Most abundant were Yellow-rumped Thornbill and Buff-rumped Thornbill.

A very pleasing outing

Jean