canberrabirds

and now, GARDEN BIRDS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "Baird, Ian" <>, Denis Wilson <>, Geoffrey Dabb <>
Subject: and now, GARDEN BIRDS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: Ann Howarth <>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 07:08:02 +0000

From 1970 to 1973 we lived in Schlich Street, Yarralumla and although I was keenly interested in birds then I was not recording sightings so I am relying on my memory now.  However, I am sure that we had King Parrots visiting the pin oaks in the street planting.  Coming from Normanhurst in Sydney to Yarralumla I was familiar with Crimson Rosellas and Eastern Rosellas but not so with King Parrots and I was fascinated by these red and green birds.
Ann Howarth

Denis’ reminder about the King Parrot is interesting, something that I too, had not properly realised. Although when I think about it a bit, KPs only seemed to become common in inner north Canberra from about 15-20 years ago. But my recollection of KPs has always been distorted by a memory fixed as an 11 year old visiting Canberra on a primary school trip from Sydney in 1961. We were visiting the Cotter Dam in a bus which stopped to give everyone a good look at KPs feeding on a hawthorn branch overhanging the edge of the road. It blew me away, being my first sighting of KPs up close and fixed in my mind forever that Canberra was the place to see King Parrots. But that was a sighting ‘out of town’, not in Canberra itself.

Ian Baird