canberrabirds

Azure Kingfisher and other birds at Lake Ginninderra Dog Park

To: "" <>
Subject: Azure Kingfisher and other birds at Lake Ginninderra Dog Park
From: "" <>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 06:13:12 +0000
Thanks to Duncan McCaskills report of an Azure Kingfisher at Lake Ginninderra, I paid a visit to Lake Ginninderra dog park at m("-35.2290438,149.0743813,19z","//www.google.com.au/maps/");"> m("-35.2290438,149.0743813,19z","//www.google.com.au/maps/");">https: and was surprised by the variety of birds that I could observe.

Between Monday and Thursday I was able to spot:

A flock of Common Starlings in their shining winter plumage
A flock of 6 Double-barred Finches
A flock of Silvereyes
A flock of Red-browed Finches
A couple of Dusky Woodswallows
A flock of Yellow-rumped Thornbills
A male and a female Scarlet Robin
One Spotted Pardalote
One Crested Shrike-tit
Two White-plummed Honeyeater
One male Grey Shrike-thrush
One male Great Cormorant
and more of the rather common birds

I assume the occurrence of birds that prefer different habitats is to be owed to the different vegetation (Woodland, Bushland and the lake) surrounding the dog park. For some reason the birds are all drawn to the area of the smaller of the two fenced dog areas.

On Saturday however there were no birds in this area at all, so I decided to have a closer look at the shoreline when a splashing sound caught my interest. Approaching the right hand (western) part of the beach directly beneath the fenced dog area, I was lucky enough to take a picture of an Azure Kingfisher.

--
Please reply to: m("bechhold.de","gpg");"> using GPG
Download Key from: www.bechhold.de/gpg.asc