canberrabirds

The hierarchy of kings.

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: The hierarchy of kings.
From: John Layton <>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 03:13:57 +0000

At 10:00 o’clock this morning a flock of about 15 King Parrots landed in our White Cedar tree which currently retains ~ 70% of its leaves. At this time of year, after a couple of hefty post ANZAC Day frosts, it would be bear and the surrounding area ankle deep in fallen leaves. Not so in 2016.

Anyhow, the parrots hopped quietly about in the branches while ignoring me as I approached to within three metres from where I could easily see the flock comprised females and immatures, no blokes. Suddenly six mature males swooped into the tree and immediately the decibels and action increased. The newcomers immediately set upon certain individuals flying at them while screeching but without making physical contact.

After a few moments the usurped half dozen or so (seemingly all immatures) had gathered in a noisy ambivalent group on the outer foliage before spearing off to a bare-branched apricot 30 metres away in a neighbouring yard. But the vigilantes persisted and sped off towards the outcasts that fled rather than face the feathered flying phalanx of mature males. The latter returned to the White Cedar quietly mingling and chirruping with the ladies.

Fifteen minutes later all the parrots had left.

John Layton

Holt.