canberrabirds

FW: FW: [canberrabirds] Postscript

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: FW: [canberrabirds] Postscript
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 23:10:59 +0000

As it happens, the engraving in the published account of Sturt’s travels in the north-west corner of South Australia omitted both bird and rifleperson.  As South Australia has given us so many distinguished and energetic ornithologists I might go on and venture a guess that bird was a Black Kite. Sturt himself wrote of seeing nearby ‘several hundreds  of the common kite’ although the published account includes the Gould lithograph of what Gould had already called ‘Milvus affinis’.  Perhaps Sturt had in mind the ‘common kite’ of India with which he would have been very familiar from his days on the sub-continent.

As to Martin’s comments on the firearm, the added text does say ‘rifle’.  At the time long muzzle-loading rifles would have been in use in South Australia having been produced by the same stock of German gunsmiths who gave rise to the ‘Kentucky long rifle’ (produced in Pennsylvania, another destination, like South Australia, of German immigrants) .