canberrabirds

Unusual parrots in Mawson

To: Canberrabirds Chatline <>
Subject: Unusual parrots in Mawson
From: Rob Geraghty <>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 02:43:49 +0000
I heard an unusual call this morning and found a group of about six parrots feeding in the top of a tall Eucalypt. At first I thought that they were Eastern Rosellas, because there was one Eastern among them, but the birds making the call were different. I got my binoculars, but because of the bright cloud, I couldn't get a good look at them. I thought that they may have been Musk Lorikeets, but the call was a single pitch, repeated staccato note, not a typical lorikeet sound at all. They were mostly green with a small amount of colour around the face (hence why I thought Musk Lorikeets). Listening to the calls on Birds in Backyards, the closest seems to be the Swift Parrot. I presume that the birds were feeding on lerp or insects.

Have there been any recent sightings of Swift Parrots in the ACT?

======= Rob Geraghty