canberrabirds

Migration here and there

To: COG List <>
Subject: Migration here and there
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 08:02:25 +0000
Yellow -faced and White-naped honeyeaters were moving in small numbers through Carwoola at lunchtime.  I heard some 'chips' late in the afternoon at home so I suspect they aren't finished yet.  Birding-aus today had some comments that the migrating Yellow-faced have just arrived in Sydney.

A flock of about 10 Spotted pardalotes appeared in my Carwoola GBS site today and moved on, so I suspect they were also going to somewhere warmer (or less smoky).  About the same time 3 Scarlet Robins appeared in the garden.  Two of these were females and seemed to have an intense dislike of each other, with very angry clicking calls followed by aerial battles: I have not seen this species behave like this before.

On a tour of the Hoskinstown Plain at lunchtime I saw three immature Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes at various spots, clearly different birds, moving in an Easterly direction.

Martin Butterfield